Thursday, March 4, 2010

Reading ideas...

Let me just preface this blog entry by saying that I do love the Tattered Cover Book Store. I thought it was awesome that someone from the store took the time to read my blog and comment on it. Of course, I wasn't saying a lot of nice things about the new reader chapter book literature selection, but I don't think that the selection of chapter books for new readers is even their fault--the publishers want authors that pump out a book every 3 months. (And they at the Tattered Cover say that is what sells-probably because sometimes we as parents don't take the time to find out what are kids are reading.) Maybe I should write children's books instead of talking about them.... There's a thought.

Here are some reading suggestions from Dawn. Other friends suggested some of these books, too, but they were all the same books that Dawn chose, so she gets all of the credit. (Sorry everyone else!)
The Little House books, Anne of Green Gables, Narnia, The Secret Garden, Peter Pan, the Ramona series and Superfudge. Also, Ella Enchanted and Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain.

My friends at The Tattered Cover also gave me some suggestions to help find a good book. I haven't had a chance to check them out yet myself, but I will this weekend:
http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/alsc/awardsgrants/bookmedia/newberymedal/newberymedal.cfm

http://tinyurl.com/yam7js6

http://news.bookweb.org/features/7307.html

http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/417656-Best_Children_s_Books_of_2009.php

Coming soon to my blog.....Yet another crazy adventure with Christina--but that will have to wait until the morning. I can't keep my eyes open!

2 comments:

  1. I realized after I posted that you had mentioned the Superfudge/Santa thing as the reason not to try her on that one. :)

    If you like the "literary history" stuff going in the American Girl books, I also recommend books by Robert Lawson. "Ben and Me" is about Ben Franklin from the perspective of his pet mouse, and "Mr. Revere and I" tells about Paul Revere from the viewpoint of his horse. He's written others but I've not read them. They are cute and engaging, and help to breathe some life into American history when they are going through the Revolution time period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. I'll have to try them out. I love it when my kids learn stuff, too!

    ReplyDelete